Contact Information: 613-257-1690
Visit the Carleton Place Canoe Club, a piece of Canadian history. Carleton Place Canoe Club is the oldest, continually operating club in the country and is also the only surviving charter member for the Canadian Canoe Association. It was here, in the depths of the Mississippi River that the Ottawa Valley Canoe Association (OVCA) was born in 1893.
Over the years the Canoe Club has produced numerous Canadian Champions in various categories, both male and female. Carleton Place paddlers make a strong presence in Canadian Canoe Racing, dating back to the very first CCA championship regatta, and are sure to continue the trend in the coming years. Not only has Carleton Place Canoe Club made a splash locally, but the club has consistently produced athletes ho further qualify for higher levels of competitions, on a variety of Provincial and National teams. These range from Ontario team members to Canada Summer Games team members, Junior World Championship competitors and Senior National Team members.
The Canoe Club has proven its acceptance and forward thinking through its history, opening its membership to women in 1903. Ladies War Canoe training and competition were an early development, and one of the first of its kind. The Club was also one of the early advocates for the inclusion of Ladies Classes in the C.C.A. Race Schedule. Year round training became a feature in the late 1960?s, and later on the club became one of the first to apply scientific methods to the assessment of training needs and the design of advanced training programs.
The Carleton Place Canoe Club is part of the foundation of this healthy and friendly community, not only lending itself to historical interests but also competitive sport, business and bringing people together over the last 114 years. Nothing represents Carleton Place quite like the Canoe Club.
Located on the shores of the Mississippi River, we are approximately 40 minutes from downtown Ottawa, Ontario (Canada), in the heart of the Ottawa Valley. As the title indicates, the club has been in existence since 1893 and has provided the youth and general public of the area a great source of recreation and/or competitive racing for over a century. At Riverside Park, beside the playground and beach area.
For more infomation on the Carleton Place Canoe Club Programs and Membership, view their brochure
P.O. BOX 155 ,
Carleton Place, Ontario
120 Patterson Cres.
Carleton Place, Ont.