The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
The Town of Carleton Place and the Emergency Management Team continues to work closely with the Leeds, Grenville & Lanark District Health Unit and community partners to monitor the COVID-19 virus (coronavirus) and respond appropriately.
Residents are encouraged to follow the guidance and protocols of our local experts in Public Health. While the virus is not currently circulating locally, we are prepared to respond accordingly to help protect the health of our community. All community facilities remain open at this time. Please continue to monitor our website for updates. https://carletonplace.ca/
How to protect yourself
Residents are reminded to continue to follow basic but important preventative steps to avoid the spread of illness, including COVID-19:
- wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- sneeze and cough into your sleeve
- avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth
- avoid contact with people who are sick
- stay home if you are sick
Symptoms and treatment
Symptoms range from mild (like the flu and other common respiratory infections), to severe and can include:
- difficulty breathing
Complications from the 2019 novel coronavirus can include serious conditions, like pneumonia or kidney failure, and in some cases, death.
There are no specific treatments for coronaviruses, and there is no vaccine that protects against coronaviruses. Most people with common human coronavirus illnesses will recover on their own.
- drink plenty of fluids
- get rest and sleep as much as possible
- try a humidifier or a hot shower to help with a sore throat or cough
For the latest information about the virus please visit:
Leeds, Grenville & Lanark District Heath Unit: https://healthunit.org/coronavirus/
Ministry of Health website: https://www.ontario.ca/page/2019-novel-coronavirus