March 28, 2020
Chief Administrative Officer
The Town of Carleton Place continues to monitor new information regarding the COVID-19 pandemic.
We thank all residents who are following the directives from the Medical Officer of Health, and Federal and Provincial Governments to self-isolate when returning from out-of-country travel and monitoring themselves for symptoms for up to 14 days and for practicing social (physical) distancing.
Federal Government Updates
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says that as of noon on Monday, boarding of domestic flights and trains will be denied to people showing any symptoms related to COVID-19. More details to follow.
Provincial Government Updates
The Provincial Government is coming down hard on price gougers. If you see anyone taking advantage by jacking up prices on essential items, please report it.
Previously, only police officers and constables who have been appointed under an Act have the ability to enforce orders made under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act (EMCPA). Due to COVID-19, police resources are being stretched and police services have made requests to have other enforcement personnel assist with enforcing the emergency orders being made by the province.
The government signed a ministerial designation under the Provincial Offences Act to authorize the following personnel to enforce EMCPA orders:
- All persons or classes of persons designated in writing by a Provincial Minister as provincial offences officers;
- All municipal law enforcement officers referred to in subsection 101 (4) of the Municipal Act, 2001 or in subsection 79 (1) of the City of Toronto Act, 2006;
- All by-law enforcement officers of any municipality, or of any local board of any municipality; and
- All officers, employees or agents of any municipality or of any local board of any municipality whose responsibilities include the enforcement of a by-law, an Act or a regulation under an Act.
Leeds, Grenville, Lanark District Health Unit Updates
The Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit has expanded capacity for incoming enquiries.
The main number to call is 1-800-660-5853.
The local Smiths Falls office number is (613) 283-2740.
- General COVID-19 Enquiries - Ext. 2499, available weekdays, from 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. and on weekends from 8:30 a.m. until 12:00 noon.
- Enquiries from Health Care Providers or for members of the public reporting symptoms - Ext. 2222, available 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. seven days a week.
- Duty Desk, (Public Health Inspectors) for business operator enquiries - Ext. 2308, also available 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. seven days a week.
- After hours crisis line - (613) 345-5685.
Ontario Provincial Police
Visibility and access to the public are important to the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP). The public are advised that regular OPP patrols have not changed and the police are working to increase their presence in the community.
The public are reminded to only call 9-1-1 for emergencies.
For non-emergency items, the public are encouraged to call 1-888-310-1122 or report matters on the online reporting tool located on the OPP’s website www.opp.ca
If any member of the public wishes to report a quarantine matter related to the COVID-19 emergency, they are asked to do so by calling 1-888-310-1122.