The Compost Yard located at 128 Patterson Crescent is now open to the public on Saturdays beginning July 4th, from 8:00 a.m. to 12 noon. The Compost Yard will also be open Wednesday evenings from 3:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. starting July 8th. Public Works is no longer collecting leaf bags from the curb. Residents are asked to remove any bags remaining at the curb and deliver them to the yard during operating hours.
The following items will be accepted:
- Branches less than 3 inches in diameter
- Leaves and grass clippings in paper bags – items in plastic bags will not be accepted
- Scrap metal
The Compost Yard is strictly available for the residents of the Town of Carleton Place only. If you reside outside of Carleton Place, please contact your municipality for information.
Residents need to be aware of the following measures which will be in place in order to protect the public and the staff working at the compost site:
- A limited number of vehicles will be permitted into the site at any given time. Staff will be providing traffic control at the gate.
- Residents will need to be able to remove items from their vehicles independently as staff will only provide direction as to where items are to be placed from a safe distance. Staff will not be chipping items while residents are on site.
- Residents will immediately depart from the site as soon as items have been dropped off.
Household Hazardous Waste
The Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) facility at 128 Patterson Crescent will open tomorrow morning (July 25th) for the season. The facility will be open each Saturday until mid-September from 8:00 a.m. – 12 noon. We are asking everyone to be especially patient with HHW staff as we are anticipating a large volume of vehicles during the initial weeks that the facility will be open. Prior to attending the site, we would like residents to be aware of the following requirements due to COVID-19:
- Residents are asked to have their waste items in cardboard boxes or containers that they do not need returned as bins and containers will not be returned once collected by staff. This includes waste oil containers;
- Residents are asked to have their waste ready in the rear of their vehicle, clearly identified, so that staff can easily collect the items while maintaining required physical distancing from residents;
- Residents are asked to wear a mask as they approach the depot and especially while communicating with staff through their window;
- Proof of residency is required! The Household Hazardous Waste facility is limited to residents of Carleton Place, Mississippi Mills, Beckwith, Drummond/North Elmsley, Montague, Smiths Falls, and Perth only.