facebook icon  twitter icon


Licenses and Services

Marriage Licenses

Applications for a marriage license may be obtained from the Clerk's Office during regular office hours or from the Ontario Government Web Site at https://www.ontario.ca/page/getting-married 

Both applicants are required to complete and sign the application. Please contact Bobbi McCann, 613-257-6215 to make an appointment to obtain a marriage license. The fee for a marriage license for residents of Carleton Place is $140.00 and the fee for non-residents is $160.00.

Both applicants are required to submit two pieces of identification. Examples include a birth certificate, driver's license and/or a passport. Applicants who are divorced are required to submit the original or court certified true copy of the Certificate of Divorce.  

Wedding Ceremonies

The CAO, Diane Smithson, is available after regular business hours to conduct wedding ceremonies.

Prior to a wedding ceremony, both participants are required to meet with the Officiant in order to ensure an understanding of the ceremony.  Meetings can be arranged by contacting the CAO directly using the information below. 

The cost of a wedding ceremony after regular Town Hall business hours, by a Town Officiant, is currently $400.00 payable in advance to the Town of Carleton Place. Couples are responsible for the provision of their own witnesses (two) for the ceremony.

For an appointment or for further information, please contact Diane Smithson, Chief Administrative Officer at dsmithson@carletonplace.ca or by phone at 613-257-6255.

Commissioner of Oaths

The Town of Carleton Place does offer a commissioner of oaths service, by appointment only, through the Clerk's Office. Once an appointment has been confirmed, the individual or persons required to execute the document must attend the Clerk's Office and provide personal identification that includes your photo and signature. Please note that not all documents can be commissioned. Examples that cannot be commissioned include wills, codicils to wills, power of attorney forms, divorce, separation or custody documents, and non-municipal real estate documents. Also, if your document requires a notarized signature, please contact your legal counsel as this type of document cannot be commissioned. The current fee for the commissioning of a document is $15.00 payable to the Town of Carleton Place. For an appointment or for further information, please contact Stacey Blair at 613-257-6212 or sblair@carletonplace.ca 


Salesperson's Licence

The Town of Carleton Place requires by law that every person who sells goods, wares or merchandise door to door or at a particular place obtains a salesperson's license. For further information on the Salesperson's License, you may contact Bobbi McCann at 613-257-6215.  Please allow at least two business days in order for staff to process your application.


Refreshment Vehicle Licenses

In order to operate a mobile chip wagon, canteen truck or refreshment cart a license must be obtained from the municipality. Along with an application, the operator must obtain written approvals from the local health unit, fire department as well as adequate insurance. If it is a located wagon, a letter of permission from the property owner is required, as well as site plan approval from Council. Various fees apply. Contact Bobbi McCann at 613-257-6215.  


Taxi Licenses

The Town of Carleton Place issues taxi licenses to both the operator of the business and to individual drivers. The licenses, issued annually, are valid until December 31st of each year. Currently an Operator's License is $100.00 while a Driver's License is $ 30.00

Applicants are required to complete an application form with supporting documentation and to submit the required fee. A separate background check and fee must be obtained from the police and paid prior to the issuance of a license. Further information may be obtained by contacting Bobbi McCann at 613-257-6215.  Please allow at least two business days in order for staff to process your application


Lottery Licenses

As a reminder to residents, prior to the selling of raffle or break open lottery tickets, be sure to obtain a lottery license from the municipality. The cost of a license is 3% of the total value of the prize offered. For further information, please contact Bobbi McCann, Clerk's Assistant at 613-257-6215. Please allow at least two business days for staff to process your application.