facebook icon  twitter icon


Water and Sewer

Should you have a Public Works Emergency or are concerned about your drinking water or sanitary sewer, please call 613-257-2253.

For questions regarding your water bill, please contact Jennifer Muoka at 613-257-6218 or jmuoka@carletonplace.ca.

Reinstatement of Penalties and Interest Charges - At the start of the COVID-19 emergency, an emergency Council meeting was held on March 25th, 2020 to discuss measures the Town would be undertaking to address various Town matters in response to the emergency. Council passed a By-law to waive penalties and interest for late payments incurred from the date of passing until the By-law is repealed. During the first 2021 Budget meeting on November 6th, 2020, Council discussed reinstating interest/penalty charges due to the significant financial losses experienced by the Town in 2020 and the estimated impact to revenues in 2021. Council voted in favour of repealing By-law 32-2020 and therefore,  penalty and interest charges on tax, water and other fees/charges owing to the Town will be reinstated effective January 1st, 2021.

Water and Sewer Rates (effective the first quarterly billing in 2020)

Quarterly Rate Description Full Service Full Service Less: Outside Taps Full Service Plus: Private Swimming Pool
1 or 2 persons $238.36 $213.52 $271.76
3 to 5 persons $250.34 $225.58 $283.78
6,7 or 8 persons $262.52 $237.80 $295.92
9 or 10 persons $270.48 $245.48 $303.86
Additional Persons $5.64 $5.64 $5.64

Water Due Dates

  • February 1st
  • May 3rd
  • August 3rd
  • November 1st

Useful Reports and Documents

General Description of System

The sanitary sewer collection system and water distribution system includes manholes, water valves and chambers, and fire hydrants.

The operation and maintenance of the Water Treatment Plant, Wastewater Treatment  Plant, wastewater pumping stations, and Water Tower is contracted by the Town of Carleton Place to the Ontario Clean Water Agency.

Town of Carleton Place Sewer and Water Lateral Policies

The Town also assumes responsibility for the structural integrity of sewer and water services from the main lines to the property line. The property owner is responsible for sewer and water services from the property line to the house. The exception to this policy is if there is a blockage in a sewer lateral, it is the property owner's responsibility from the house to the mainline. This is in place as the house is the only source that a blockage can originate from.

This same principle would apply for a water service that is leaking, the Town assumes responsibility if the pipe is leaking from the mainline to the property line. The property owner is responsible from the property line to the house. The exception is if the water line is frozen, the Town will provide assistance to thaw the frozen line as it is difficult to determine where the line has actually frozen. The Town may discontinue the provision of this service if the Town undertakes remedial action to ensure the portion of the water line on the Town property is adequately protected from ground frost, and the property owner does not undertake similar remedial action.

Drinking Water Quality Management System

In May 2000, the Walkerton municipal drinking water system became contaminated with E.Coli. Seven people lost their lives and thousands more became ill. The Provincial government launched an inquiry led by Justice O'Connor and his findings changed the water industry. In Part 2 of his report, he recommended the implementation of a quality management system for the municipal drinking water system (DWQMS). The Town of Carleton Place is currently implementing the DWQMS. If you have any questions, or would like to view the Operational Plan for the Distribution System, please contact the Public Works office, 613-257-2253.

Safe Drinking Water Act Section 14(4)

In accordance with Section 14(4) of the Safe Drinking Water Act, should any resident of Carleton Place wish to view the Service Agreement between the Town of Carleton Place and the Ontario Clean Water Agency, please call 613-257-2253 to make an appointment to view the agreement.