By-law Department

The Carleton Place By-law Department is responsible for enforcing municipal standards and By-laws in the Town of Carleton Place.

By-law Complaints

We strongly encourage residents to familiarize themselves with relevant Carleton Place By-laws related to your concern prior to submitting a complaint to the department. If you have a concern you feel requires attention and have reviewed the related By-law, please call the department at 613-257-5688 OR fill in the form at the bottom of this page. Please note that this number is not monitored 24 hours a day. Your call may not be returned immediately but it will be returned.

Please note that we do not investigate anonymous complaints.

Please be prepared to provide the following information if you would like to file a complaint:

  • Full name
  • Your address
  • Your telephone number
  • Address of the property you wish to lodge a complaint against

It is important to provide as much detail as possible regarding the violation such as

  • description of vehicle, animal or person involved in the incident,
  • approximate window of time/date when the violation occurred,
  • nature of the complaint,
  • description of the event, etc.

Lack of information may result in delays in response time and resolution.

Loitering, Trespassing and Criminal Activity

If your complaint concerns loitering, trespassing, noise related to domestic disputes, vandalism, or other possible criminal activity, please call 911. 

Animal Control

The Town of Carleton Place’s animal control regulations are based on By-Law 122-2018.

Animal Control Services are provided by Municipal Law Enforcement Services (MLES) who can be contacted at 613-809-7048 (pager service).

Call 911 in an emergency when any life is in immediate danger, such as when there is an animal attack resulting in serious injury to people or other animals that requires emergency medical attention.

Impounded dogs will be taken to Almonte Veterinary Services located at 10 Industrial Drive Almonte, Ontario, 613-256-3443.

Impounded cats will be taken to the Lanark Animal Welfare Society (LAWS) facility at 253 Glenview Road, Smiths Falls 613 283-9308 and email is

Animal Welfare Services

Abuse and neglect of any animal is not tolerated in Ontario. If you think an animal is in distress or is being abused, call 1-833-9-ANIMAL (264625). Call this number if an animal (for example, a pet, farm animal, or wild animal in captivity) is in distress or being neglected. This includes animals that:

  • are injured, in pain, sick, suffering or abused
  • lack proper care, water, food or shelter

Animal Welfare Services (AWS) within the Ministry of the Solicitor General is responsible for enforcing the Provincial Animal Welfare Services Act.

The chief animal welfare inspector and provincial animal welfare inspectors, including inspectors with specialized expertise in livestock, zoos, aquariums, and equines, provide enforcement across Ontario. They carry out inspections, respond to concerns, conduct investigations, as well as provide outreach and education on animal care best practices. Provincial inspectors also follow a standard code of conduct.

Calls made to AWS are received through the Ontario Animal Protection Call Centre (OAPCC) at 1-833-9-ANIMAL (264625), available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Bylaw/Animal Control Complain Form

Date Related to Issue(Required)
Max. file size: 64 MB.