Building Services

Welcome to the new Building Department portal.  In this section you will find a wealth of useful information such as permit documents, fees, building code links, pool information, fence information and what items require a permit.

General Inquiries to be sent to

New Business in Existing Space – All new businesses or occupancies that are proposed in an existing space and have questions for the Building Department must fill out a form and hit submit.  The Building Department will contact you within 24-48 hours to discuss in further detail. Please be aware that phone calls into the Building Department about proposed new businesses and uses will not be answered until such time that this detail sheet is completed and submitted to the Building Department.

Building Department Hours


Monday to Thursday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.


Monday, Wednesday, Thursday: 8:00 a.m. to  4:30 p.m.
Tuesday: 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. (For drop off, payment or prearranged meetings)
Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 12 noon

Building Contact List

Lennox Smith – Chief Building Official / By-Law Enforcement Officer
Phone: (613) 257-6214

Dave Norton – Building Inspector / By-Law Enforcement Officer
Phone: (613) 257-6223

Gwen Staltari – Building Clerk
Phone: (613) 257-6204
Email: buildingadmin@carletonplace.caAccordion content.

  • All new dwellings, duplex, triplex, single detached, semi detached and other similar projects
  • All decks, landings, ramps, verandahs, and platforms regardless of size that serve a dwelling unit
  • Alteration of deck guard system or handrails on decks and platforms that serve a dwelling or freestanding structure over 10m2
  • Detached Sheds, garages and other accessory buildings over 10m2
  • Interior renovations (new walls and framing, insulation and vapour barrier, creation of new rooms and similar projects)
  • Alteration of plumbing pipes (movement of pipes, reconfiguration, tie in of new vents, new fixture creation and similar projects)
  • Temporary Tent placement on residential property for tents over 60m2 in area for special events
  • Window and door alterations and new installations (includes enlargement of exterior openings for windows and doors)
  • Parging and Waterproofing a foundation (blue-skin, dimple board, weeper install, stone over weepers and similar projects)
  • Changing of a sewer line from road to house
  • Change out of a HVAC furnace or installation of an HRV into an existing dwelling
  • Exterior Insulation of a house 
  • Basement Finishing 
  • Exterior stucco or cladding removal and/or replacement
  • Alterations to sprinkler systems and fire alarm components 
  • Interior renovations to any existing units 
  • Bathroom renovations
  • Interior layout changes
  • All new construction (additions, new builds etc.)
  • Placement of a portable or prebuilt building
  • Foundation repairs 
  • Landing, deck, ramp and other exterior platform renovations, alterations and installations
  • Tent or group of tents over 60m2 in area
  • Barrier free alterations within existing units
  • HVAC alterations
  • Removal or addition of new exit doors, fire separations, firewalls, and other similar projects
  • Window and door alterations and new installations (includes enlargement of exterior openings for windows and doors)
  • Re-painting 
  • Putting new siding on a house
  • Shingling a roof, putting steel on a roof (as long as you do not have more than 3 current layers of shingles)
  • Changing out a toilet, tap, or sink for a new fixture (using the same plumbing piping or very minor alterations)
  • A free-standing structure being built under 10m2 that does not directly serve a dwelling unit (eg. small shed, freestanding deck in a yard, etc.)
  • Painting
  • Changing of flooring on top of subfloor, laying carpet or vinyl
  • Kitchen cupboard changes and alterations
  • Landscaping
  • Changing of windows and doors in their existing rough openings that are currently in use (covered or buried in wall rough openings that are not currently in use do not qualify as existing)
  • Fences not in association with a pool permit
  • Pools require a permit
  • Pool Enclosure By-Law
  • Pool permit form
  • Hot Tub permit form
  • Please review the pool enclosure by-law here for all details about pool placement, fence requirements, location of pool equipment and more.
  • Site-plan for the pool required for all permit applications and must contain at minimum the following details:
    • Location of house
    • Property lines
    • Location of pool
    • Distance from pool to all property lines
    • Location of pool equipment
    • Fence location
    • Door locations in the fence
    • Address of the property

Sea Containers for residential and/or commercial or industrial uses which meet all of the following criteria shall require no additional engineering and shall be by discretion of the Chief Building Official and the Town of Carleton Place deemed structurally adequate:

  1. Shall be intact and unaltered from the original manufacturer’s design in any way, except for one (1) hole no larger than 8”x8” for installation of a vent which is always open for the passage of air.  Painting is not considered an alteration;
  2. Shall not consist of more than four (4) sea containers in a grouping side by side and/or end to end;
  3. Shall not have any visible signs of deterioration or structural fault in the floor, structural members, or exterior metal covering;
  4. Shall be generally level and bear on a firm surface;
  5. Shall not be heated more than 10˚C on a continuous basis during the winter months;
  6. Shall only be used for non-commercial uses in a residential zone (i.e. workshop, storage of personal items for the household).
  7. Shall only be used for storage purposes in commercial/industrial zones (i.e. outdoor cold storage with minimal human occupancy for re-stocking, retrieving stock and taking items from storage for sale at the business);
  8. Shall not be stacked, have any roof installed over it, and shall not have any other structures attached to the container;
  9. Shall be anchored by means of the most appropriate engineered detail (dependent on soil type) provided by the Town of Carleton Place;
  10. Shall require a building permit from the Building Department and shall require appropriate Planning approvals.

The Chief Building Official may request any of the above-noted conditions to be detailed in writing prior to permit issuance. Permits shall be issued per sea container or group of containers as long as they are attached together mechanically but anchored individually.  Provided the following criteria are met to the satisfaction of the Town, only a basic inspection of the installation shall be required.