Today the government of Ontario announced that the Leeds, Grenville and Lanark (LGL) region will move from the Yellow-Protect level to the Red-Control level of the Keeping Ontario Safe and Open COVID-19 Framework.
The move to the Red-Control level means that strengthened public health measures will come into effect in Leeds, Grenville and Lanark on Monday, March 22nd, at 12:01 a.m. The additional measures include all restrictions currently imposed under the Yellow-Protect level and additional restrictions which include:
- Limits of five (5) people indoors and 25 people outdoors for all organized public events and social gatherings, where physical distancing can be maintained
- Limits for fitness facilities, where physical distancing can be maintained, of 10 people in indoor areas with weights and exercise machines; 10 people in all indoor classes, or 25 people in outdoor classes
- Bars and restaurants must close by 10:00 p.m., with liquor sold or served only between 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- 10-person indoor capacity limit for restaurants and bars, with no more than four (4) seated together
- Team sports must not be practiced or played except for training (no games or scrimmage); no contact permitted for team or individual sports
- Capacity limits of 75 percent for supermarkets and other stores that primarily sell groceries, convenience stores, pharmacies and 50 percent for all other retail, including, but not limited to discount and big-box retailers, liquor stores, hardware stores and garden centres
- No personal care services that require the removal of face coverings
- Many businesses/organizations/facilities must actively screen patrons in accordance with instructions issued by the Office of the Chief Medical Officer of Health
- Full details of the limitations and restrictions for the Red-Control Level can be found on the Health Unit’s website: https://healthunit.org/health-information/covid-19/business-re-opening/framework/.
In addition to the move to Red-Control, a Section 22 Order remains in effect for Perth and Smiths Falls. The Section 22 Order for Carleton Place, Beckwith, and Mississippi Mills is rescinded effective today. These Section 22 Orders are intended to reduce opportunities for people to gather and have close, unprotected contact with others outside their household in public and private facilities.
As of Saturday, March 20th, 2021 at 12:01 a.m., adjustments are being made to dining capacity limits at restaurants, bars and other food and drink establishments, for regions in the Grey-Lockdown, Red-Control and Orange-Restrict levels of the Framework. In LGL, it is a max of 50 or 50 percent of capacity.
“Moving from Yellow-Protect to Red-Control is an alert for us to ensure we are adhering to all public health precautions - be COVID-SMART at home and at work,” says Dr. Paula Stewart, Medical Officer of Health for the Leeds, Grenville and Lanark District Health Unit. “The increase in new infections over the past two to three weeks shows how quickly COVID-19 can spread. Each of us has a part to play to decrease the spread of the COVID-19 virus in our communities.”
Staying home and apart as much as we can is the most important thing we can do. Being safe and protecting yourself means you are protecting your family, friends and co-workers. Trips outside of the home should only be for essential reasons, and families should not visit any other household or allow visitors in their homes.
- S - Self-isolate if you have symptoms of COVID-19 consider getting tested.
- M - Mask/face covering on properly when in enclosed public spaces and when physical distancing is a challenge outdoors.
- A - Avoid touching your face.
- R - Remain 2 metres/6 feet apart from people not part of your household – avoid play dates, and other close social contact. Social gatherings with anyone you don’t live with are strongly discouraged.
- T - 20 seconds for regular hand hygiene. Cover your coughs and sneezes.
The Keeping Ontario Safe and Open COVID-19 Framework categorizes public health unit regions into five levels: Green-Prevent, Yellow-Protect, Orange-Restrict, Red-Control, and Grey-Lockdown being a measure of last and urgent resort.
For more information about COVID-19, visit: https://healthunit.org/health-information/covid-19/business-re-opening/framework/ or call 1-800-660-5853.