Overnight Parking Ban
In 2019, the Town of Carleton Place adopted overnight parking restrictions from November 15th to April 1st with the primary reason being the ability for Public Works to properly maintain the safety of our roadways throughout the winter season. This system also allows the Town of Carleton Place to optimize operational efficiencies and maximize our limited staff resources, from both the Public Works and Bylaw Departments. Most Eastern Ontario communities (urban and rural) are using the same seasonal overnight parking ban concept including Arnprior, Mississippi Mills, Smiths Falls, and Perth.
Starting November 15th through to April 1st, overnight on-street parking will be strictly prohibited between the hours of 12:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m., regardless of weather conditions, to allow for thorough and efficient winter maintenance operations. The Town has a legal responsibility to provide safe roadways for our community and to maintain our streets and sidewalks in accordance with Provincial Minimum Maintenance Standards.
Vehicles parked in violation of the ban will ticketed and towed to the Public Library parking lot at 101 Beckwith Street.
We appreciate your support and if you have any questions, please contact the Public Works Department at 613-257-2253.
Fines - Should your vehicle be towed and ticketed, the fines are as follows:
Pre-Payment within 7 Days
Set Fine within 15 days
Parking on-street during ban hours
Winter Parking Overview and Explanation
Accommodations for Visitors
Council has amended Traffic and Parking By-Law 46-2003 with regard to providing overnight winter parking areas to accommodate guests of property owners who may not have sufficient driveway/garage space for additional overnight vehicles. Staff identified seven (7) areas in Town that can now be used as overnight parking areas from 7:00 p.m. to 11:00 a.m.:
- 10 spaces at the east end of the Riverside Park parking lot at the end of John Street.
- Approximately eight (8) spots in the gravel parking lot for Carleton Junction on Coleman Street.
- Approximately 10 to 12 spaces in the gravel area on Cavanagh Road next to the tower and stormwater pond.
- Approximately six (6) spaces in the temporary gravel area at the south end of McNeely Avenue by the trail.
- Approximately 10 to 12 spaces in the Centennial Park Parking Lot on Joseph Street.
- Carleton Place Public Library parking lot – nine (9) signed spaces adjacent to Judson Street
- Southerly end of Power Street - Municipal gravel parking lot in its entirety
All vehicles parked in the designated overnight areas MUST be removed by 11:00 a.m. the following day at the latest to allow for snow removal or risk being ticketed and towed to the Carleton Place Public Library Parking Lot at 101 Beckwith Street.
We appreciate your cooperation.