Waste Collection Contact Information
Waste Collection Inquiries: 1-613-257-1195
Download the free CP Waste Solutions App to receive information and reminders about waste and recycling collection.
- Waste and Recycling Collection
- Uncollectable Waste
- Household Hazardous Waste
- Disposal of Clothing and Sports Equipment
- Disposal of Metal
- Electronic Waste and Recycling
- Construction Waste
- Christmas Tree Collection
- Leaf Collection
Garbage and recycling items must be at the curb and properly tagged by 7:00 a.m to ensure collection
The Town of Carleton Place allows one un-stickered bag of garbage each week. Additional bags must have a sticker. Stickers can still be purchased for $3 each at the Town Hall and Shoppers Drugmart on McNeely Avenue. The only exception will be during the week between Christmas and New Years when 3 un-stickered bags will be allowed.
Large household items (ex; couch, chair, mattress, etc.) must have FOUR STICKERS attached for collections.
Appliances must have four stickers attached for collection. Any appliance containing refrigerant must be properly decommissioned and tagged by a certified technician indicating refrigerant has been properly removed.
Multi Residential Buildings - Residents residing in multi-residential buildings participating in the curbside collection program with five or more units are required to sticker all garbage. The Town of Carleton Place provides the property owner with garbage stickers annually equal to one bag per unit each week. Residents should contact their property owner to obtain allotted stickers. Additional waste such as large items shall be stickered in accordance with the municipal bylaw.
The Town of Carleton Place’s residential recycling program is now managed by Circular Materials Ontario, who is the administrator of the common collection system and a not-for-profit organization that is committed to building an efficient and effective recycling system in Ontario.
To access more information about Circular Materials' Recycling program please visit the Circular Materials website.
Residents are also encouraged to download the free Carleton Place Waste Solutions App for all your waste collection information.
- Articles which are not bundled
- Articles larger than 100kg or 2.0m long
- Large quantities of construction, renovation or manufacturing waste
- Stones, earth, stumps, etc
- Large quantities of dry wall
- Yard waste
- Household hazardous waste
- Iron, steel, or scrap metal
- Carcass of any animal
- Liquid wastes
- Medical wastes
- Any recyclable material
- Night soil and animal waste
- Any explosive or highly combustible material
- Any material which has become frozen to the container and cannot be removed by shaking
Call the Canadian Diabetes Association at 613-746-4633 for free pick up or deliver to one of the many local organizations who accept.
Bring to the Compost Yard from May to November - Bring to the Public Works Yard on Franklin Street (weekdays) from mid November to May.
Residents can recycle electronics at three locations:
- Public Works Yard at 97 Franklin Street (Monday through Thursday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Friday 7:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.)
- Transfer Station at 9271 Cavanagh Road 613-257-1195
- Staples (555 McNeely Avenue, 613-253-2400)
The following items are accepted:
- Computer Monitors
- Computers and Computer Accessories such as keyboards
- Cellular Devices and Pagers
- Printers and Coping Devices
- Telephones and Answering Devices
- Speakers, Amplifiers
- Cameras and Video Recorders
Residents are permitted a small quantity of construction waste at the curb provided it is equal to or less than an 80 litre garbage bag (no construction size garbage bags) and weighs less than 15kg. Residents must sticker any bags over the one bag limit. Any construction waste that exceeds those limitations must be disposed of by the homeowner.
Residents can utilize the Transfer Station located at 9271 Cavanagh Road to dispose of any material except hazardous waste. There is a fee to use the transfer station, residents can call (613) 257-1195 for hours of operation and pricing.
The Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Depot is currently closed for the 2023 season and will reopen in May 2024. Please note the HHW facility is limited to the residents of Carleton Place, Beckwith, Drummond North Elmsley, Montague, Mississippi Mills, Smiths Falls, and Perth. Residents will be required to provide proof of residency.
Please review the list of accepted materials
The Town of Carleton Place provides compost facilities (128 Patterson Crescent) for residents of Carleton Place for the disposal of grass clippings, yard waste, and branches under 6 inches in diameter. Compost material must be loose or in paper bags. No plastic bags!
Residents who wish to deliver their leaf and yard waste to the Compost Yard located at 128 Patterson Cres. Can do so starting on the following dates:
- Closed for 2023 season.
Residents of Carleton Place should be prepared to provide proof of residency as our compost yard is for taxpayers of Carleton Place.
Backyard Compost Rebate Program
In an effort to reduce the amount of waste at the curb each week the Public Works Department will be providing residents a $40 rebate for the purchase of a backyard composter. Residents may purchase a backyard composter of their choice, complete and submit the rebate form. Please note: only one rebate per household.
Compost 101 - We prepared this helpful tip sheet to get you started and keep you going. Composting is an excellent eco-friendly family project.
The following items will be accepted:
- Branches less than 3 inches in diameter
- Leaves and grass clippings in paper bags – items in plastic bags will not be accepted
- Scrap metal
The Compost Yard is strictly available for the residents of the Town of Carleton Place only. If you reside outside of Carleton Place, please contact your municipality for information.
Residents need to be aware of the following measures which will be in place in order to protect the public and the staff working at the compost site:
- A limited number of vehicles will be permitted into the site at any given time. Staff will be providing traffic control at the gate.
- Residents will need to be able to remove items from their vehicles independently as staff will only provide direction plc as to where items are to be placed from a safe distance. Staff will not be chipping items while residents are on site.
- Residents will immediately depart from the site as soon as items have been dropped off.
The Town provides curbside collection of Christmas trees to all residents of Carleton Place. Please place your tree at the curb side on your normal collection day. No garbage stickers are required for this service.
- Residents can place their Christmas Trees curbside for collection from January 2nd to January 12th, 2024.
- Please remove any decorations, plastic bags, and tree stands.
- Trees will be collected by Public Works staff and need to be placed close to the curb and in a location where it will not interfere with snow removal operations.
The Town of Carleton Place collects leaves and grass clippings curbside during designated times in Spring and Fall only. Curbside collection dates are announced in Municipal Matters, on the Town website, and on Twitter and Facebook. Dates are subject to change.
2023 - Fall Collection - Curbside Collection Period Over
If you have any questions regarding Waste Collection, please contact Public Works at 613-257-2253.