If you have any questions regarding waste collection, please contact Public Works at 613-257-2253
Download the free CP Waste Solutions App to receive information and reminders about waste and recycling collection.
- Waste and Recycling Collection
- Uncollectable Waste
- Household Hazardous Waste
- Disposal of Clothing and Sports Equipment
- Disposal of Metal
- Electronic Waste and Recycling
- Construction Waste
- Holiday Garbage and Recycling Pickup
- Christmas Tree Collection
- Leaf Collection
The Town of Carleton Place allows one un-stickered bag of garbage each week. Additional bags must have a sticker. Stickers can still be purchased at the Town Hall, the Shoppers Drugmart and at the Visitors Centre. Existing green stickers will be honoured until 2020. The only exception will be during the week between Christmas and New Years when 3 un-stickered bags will be allowed.
Large household items (ex; couch, chair, mattress, etc.) must have FOUR STICKERS attached for collections.
Appliances must have four stickers attached for collection. Any appliance containing refrigerant must be properly decommissioned and tagged by a certified technician indicating refrigerant has been properly removed.
Multi Residential Buildings - Residents residing in multi-residential buildings participating in the curbside collection program with five or more units are required to sticker all garbage. The Town of Carleton Place provides the property owner with garbage stickers annually equal to one bag per unit each week. Residents should contact their property owner to obtain allotted stickers. Additional waste such as large items shall be stickered in accordance with the municipal bylaw.
Residents will be receiving a new yellow bin from Emterra this week along with promotional information including a calendar to help with the transition. The distribution of bins to multi-residential properties (5 or more units) will occur at a later date as we are currently working with property owners to address their specific needs. If you are planning to be away next week, please make arrangements for your bin to be collected by a neighbour or friend.
Moving forward, residents can continue to use their existing blue bins provided the material in the bin matches the correct collection each week (paper products one week - containers the following week) as only one yellow bin will be provided to each property.
Residents are also encouraged to download the free Carleton Place Waste Solutions App for all your waste collection information.
There will be some changes residents need to be aware of:
- Food grade plastic containers will be accepted but they must be clean and free of any residue;
- Plastic bags and plastic film will NO longer be accepted;
- Black plastic will NOT be accepted as it interferes with the processing equipment. Please Note - residents are still allowed to use black plastic garbage bags for their food and unrecyclable waste. When we refer to black plastic we are referring to black plastic recyclables (for example, the bottom of a rotisserie chicken container).
- Articles which are not bundled
- Articles larger than 100kg or 2.0m long
- Large quantities of construction, renovation or manufacturing waste
- Stones, earth, stumps, etc
- Large quantities of dry wall
- Yard waste
- Household hazardous waste
- Iron, steel, or scrap metal
- Carcass of any animal
- Liquid wastes
- Medical wastes
- Any recyclable material
- Night soil and animal waste
- Any explosive or highly combustible material
- Any material which has become frozen to the container and cannot be removed by shaking
Clothing and textiles and sports equipment
Call the Canadian Diabetes Association at 613-746-4633 for free pick up or deliver to one of the many local organizations who accept.
Electronic Waste & Recycling
Residents can recycle electronics at three locations:
- Public Works Yard at 97 Franklin Street
- Transfer Station at 9271 Cavanagh Road 613-257-1195
- Staples (555 McNeely Avenue, 613-253-2400)
Residents are permitted a small quantity of construction waste at the curb provided it is equal to or less than an 80 litre garbage bag (no construction size garbage bags) and weighs less than 15kg. Residents must sticker any bags over the one bag limit. Any construction waste that exceeds those limitations must be disposed of by the homeowner.
Residents can utilize the Transfer Station located at 9271 Cavanagh Road to dispose of any material except hazardous waste. There is a fee to use the transfer station, residents can call (613) 257-1195 for hours of operation and pricing.
Holiday Garbage and Recycling Pickup
When normal pick up days fall on a statutory holiday (New Year's Day, Family Day, Good Friday, Victoria Day, Canada Day, Civic Holiday, Labour Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas) the garbage and recycling collection for that day will occur the following day.
The Town of Carleton Place provides compost facilities for residents of Carleton Place for the disposal of grass clippings, yard waste, and branches under 6 inches in diameter. Compost material must be loose or in paper bags. No plastic bags!
Backyard Compost Rebate Program - In an effort to reduce the amount of waste at the curb each week the Public Works Department will be providing residents a $40 rebate for the purchase of a backyard composter. Resident may purchase a backyard composter of their choice, complete and submit the rebate form.
Compost 101 - We prepared this helpful tip sheet to get you started and keep you going. Composting is an excellent eco-friendly family project.
Reopening - The Town of Carleton Place would like to thank residents for their patience and understanding while our Compost Yard has remained closed during the COVID-19 crisis. We are pleased to announce that the Compost Yard located at 128 Patterson Crescent is now open to the public on Saturdays from 8:00 a.m. to 12 noon. The Compost Yard will also be open Wednesday evenings from 3:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
The following items will be accepted:
- Branches less than 3 inches in diameter
- Leaves and grass clippings in paper bags – items in plastic bags will not be accepted
- Scrap metal
The Compost Yard is strictly available for the residents of the Town of Carleton Place only. If you reside outside of Carleton Place, please contact your municipality for information.
Residents need to be aware of the following measures which will be in place in order to protect the public and the staff working at the compost site:
- A limited number of vehicles will be permitted into the site at any given time. Staff will be providing traffic control at the gate.
- Residents will need to be able to remove items from their vehicles independently as staff will only provide direction as to where items are to be placed from a safe distance. Staff will not be chipping items while residents are on site.
- Residents will immediately depart from the site as soon as items have been dropped off.
Christmas Tree Collection
The Town provides curb side collection of Christmas trees to all residents of Carleton Place. Please place your tree at the curb side on your normal collection day. No garbage stickers are required for this service. Curbside Christmas Tree collection begins on Monday, January 6th and will run until January 17th.
The Town of Carleton Place collects leaves and grass clippings curbside during designated times in Spring and Fall only. Curbside collection dates are announced in Municipal Matters, on the Town website, and on Twitter and Facebook. Dates are subject to change.
If you have any questions regarding Waste Collection, please contact Public Works at 613-257-2253