Marriage Licence Application Form

Getting a Marriage Licence

A marriage licence is required to get married in Ontario.

  • The licence is valid for 90 days from the date it is issued.
  • The licence is valid for use anywhere in the province of Ontario.
  • There are no gender, residency, citizenship or medical requirements when applying for a marriage licence.
  • Anyone over the age of 16 years old can get married in Ontario. If you are 16 – 18 (less a day) years of age, parental consent is required.

To get a marriage licence appointment:

  • Submit the Marriage Licence Application Request Form (this will be the fillable form)
  • If your application is approved, we will send you a confirmation email to schedule an appointment. If it is not approved, you will receive an email requesting more information.

Note: Only one applicant is required to be present to obtain a marriage licence. If only one applicant is present, they will be required to show 2 pieces of identification for themselves, and 2 pieces of identification for their partner.


The Town of Carleton Place charges a $140.00 (CP residents) or $160 (non-residents) for marriage licences.  Fees are payable by cash, Interac or credit card. Please note that there is a 3% surcharge for credit card transactions.  Marriage licence fees are non-refundable.


Each applicant must provide two (2) original and valid pieces of government-issued identification**.

Information listed on both pieces must compliment each other and must be in French or English. If not, an official translation is required.

Primary ID to establish citizenship must include: (Each applicant must have at least 1 piece of primary identification)

  • Full name (including change of name certificates, if applicable)
  • Date of birth
  • Place of birth

Common examples include: birth certificates, passports, Permanent Resident card, Canadian travel documents (Refugee Travel Document, Certificate of Identity and Record of Immigrant Landing), etc.

Secondary ID to establish identity (photo ID) must include:

  • Full name (including change of name certificates, if applicable)
  • Date of birth
  • Photo
  • Signature

Common examples include: Driver’s Licence, Ontario Photo card, National Identity card, Possession and Acquisition License, etc.

Identification that will Not be accepted: SIN cards, library cards, employee/student badges, etc.

Previously Married Applicants

You must submit official proof of divorce when you apply for a marriage licence. The divorce certificate must also be provided to the in-person appointment.

If you have been divorced in Canada

You must provide the original, a court-certified copy or digital* of a:

  • Final decree
  • Certificate of divorce
  • Digital divorce documents are only accepted when:
  • accompanied by the email from the Court House that issued the document, or
  • accompanied by the lawyer’s email

A Decree Nisi, Divorce Order or Judgement will NOT be accepted. These documents must be in French or English. If not, an official translation is required.

A court-certified copy may be obtained from the court office that granted the divorce. If you do not know where your divorce was granted you can contact: Central Registry of Divorce Proceedings 1-613-957-4519.

If you have been divorced outside of Canada (out-of-country divorce)

You must provide a letter of authorization provided by the Office of the Registrar General. This process can take up to 4 weeks.

For more information, contact the Marriage Office at 1-800-461-2156 (toll-free) or visit Service Ontario.

Widowed applicant

No documentation is required for widowed partners.